Welcome to the Harney County Planning Department! Most all of the land use applications, building permits and other documents we use are listed here for download, printing or reviewing right online.
Brandon McMullen, Planning Director
360 N. Alvord
Burns, OR 97720
Howard Palmer, Residential Building Inspector
Brett Thomas, GIS/Building Program Tech
Current Land Use Applications and Potential Decisions:
** Public Notice**
Harney County Planning Department Public Notice (RE: COVID-19)
Effective 3/18/2020 (Until further notice)
Walk-in service is temporarily closed for the Planning Department. Please call or email Staff for all inquiries and communication. Staff will be regularly checking email and phone message. If in-person communication is required to provide certain services this will be limited to appointment only and at the discretion of our Personnel. At this time our office will be staffed from 8:30-5:00pm, however we are staggering our employee hours to limit exposure possibilities. These are frustrating times for sure, however implementing these temporary changes are critical in applying effective preventative measures.
The following County programs are provided by the Harney County Planning Department:
- Land Use Planning and Zoning
- Building Permit and Plan Review Services
- Onsite Sanitation and Inspection Services
- Road/R.O.W. research/Road History
Land Use Application Flow Chart:
The process involved with making land use applications under Oregon Land Use Laws and the subsequent County Comprehensive Plan can be difficult to understand so the Planning Department has developed the convenient Land Use Application Flow Chart replicated below. Follow the link to access a full size version.
Click on the permit name to open, view and print; in PDF format.
Have a question? Call, visit or email our offices!
- Follow this link to make online payments to the Harney County Planning Department via Convenient Payments
- Harney County Planning Department Fees
- Harney County Planning Commission
- County Land Sale List, Application to Purchase County Owned Land, and Policy
- Mineral Rights Application
- Planning Documents: The most fundamental planning documents related to Harney County
- Oregon Statewide Planning Goals: Learn more about Oregon Land Use rules, regulations, and planning by visiting the Department of Land Conservation & Development website.Land Use Board of Appeals: Land
- Use Board of Appeals (LUBA) Get the latest LUBA opinions and information.