Welcome to the Harney County Planning Department! Most all of the land use applications, building permits and other documents we use are listed here for download, printing or reviewing right online.
Brandon McMullen, Planning Director
360 N. Alvord
Burns, OR 97720
Howard Palmer, Residential Building Inspector
Brett Thomas, GIS/Building Program Tech
Current Land Use Applications and Potential Decisions:
** Public Notice**
- Request for Proposals: Silvies Drainage Flood Management and Mitigation, follow this link to view the full RFP.
- Follow this link to view the Silvies River Management Flood Management Study Stakeholder Analysis and Report
- Scope of Work
This request for proposals seeks the following services:
- Develop a Comprehensive understanding of the flood system of the Silvies River by:
- Reviewing the current and ongoing flood model that can be used to evaluate the extent and duration of different flooding regimes.
- Determining the potential effects of upstream land management changes.
- Evaluation of the timing and duration of flooding that is beneficial for wet meadow maintenance.
The Harney County Court will hold a special review hearing to consider updates to the Harney County Comprehensive Plan related to Public Lands Policies (Local Land Use Goals and Policies for Public Lands). The County Planning Commission has approved a final draft recommendation which can be found at this link: Draft Harney County Comprehensive Plan Amendment Public Lands Policies; Official Public Notice of Hearing October 22, 2018.
- 18-23 - Public Lands – Local Land Use Goals and Policies
- 9/19/2018- Planning Commission approves recommendation to the County Court to review and adopt updates to the County Comprehensive plan related to Public Lands Policies (Land Use)
- 10/22/2018 – Harney County Court review hearing of proposed amendments to the Comprehensive Plan
- 18-25 – Jacob and Lori Howard – Conditional Use Permit – Non Farm Dwelling
- Approved by Planning Commission on 9/19/2018
- 18-26 – Moser Ranch – Property Line Adjustment
- Type I Review (Administrative Decision)
- Within Public Notification Period (Ending on 10/11/2018)
- Public Notice
- 18-25 – Dennis and Debbie Phillips – Conditional Use Permit – Non Farm Dwelling
- Type II Review (Planning Commission Decision)
- Within Public Notification Period
- Public Review Hearing Before Planning Commission on 10/17/2018
Land Use Application Flow Chart:
The process involved with making land use applications under Oregon Land Use Laws and the subsequent County Comprehensive Plan can be difficult to understand so the Planning Department has developed the convenient Land Use Application Flow Chart replicated below. Follow the link to access a full size version.
Click on the permit name to open, view and print; in PDF format.
Have a question? Call, visit or email our offices!
- Follow this link to make online payments to the Harney County Planning Department via Convenient Payments
- Harney County Planning Department Fees
- Harney County Planning Commission
- County Land Sale List, Application to Purchase County Owned Land, and Policy
- Mineral Rights Application
- Planning Documents: The most fundamental planning documents related to Harney County
- Oregon Statewide Planning Goals: Learn more about Oregon Land Use rules, regulations, and planning by visiting the Department of Land Conservation & Development website.Land Use Board of Appeals: Land
- Use Board of Appeals (LUBA) Get the latest LUBA opinions and information.