Welcome to the Harney County Planning Department! Most all of the land use applications, building permits and other documents we use are listed here for download, printing or reviewing right online.
Brandon McMullen, Planning Director
360 N. Alvord
Burns, OR 97720
Howard Palmer, Residential Building Inspector
Brett Thomas, GIS/Building Program Tech
Current Land Use Applications and Potential Decisions:
** Public Notice**
Harney County Planning Department Public Notice (RE: COVID-19)
Effective 7/1/2020 (Until further notice): As per the Governor’s mandate, please consider wearing face masks inside the office.
The following County programs are provided by the Harney County Planning Department:
- Land Use Planning and Zoning
- Building Permit and Plan Review Services
- Onsite Sanitation and Inspection Services
- Road/R.O.W. research/Road History
FEMA Flood Plain Survey Public Notice and Information:
Harney County has been working collaboratively with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Oregon State, and local communities to better identify flood risk in the County. This effort includes a new flood study on several streams in the County that will ultimately be used to update the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map and provide the County with valuable flood risk information. Better identification of flood risk helps people determine their own priorities and take steps to reduce risk to lives and property. This data also supports communities in recovery efforts when disaster strikes. The survey scope includes areas along the Silvies River, drainages D, E, H & J, Brown Canyon and Miller Canyon within Harney County.
A very important part of accurately assessing flood risk is field surveys, to understand how conditions on the ground may impact flooding. FEMA’s contractor, STARR II (represented by Harmony Design & Engineering) will be conducting field surveys in Harney County during the next few months. The purpose of these surveys is to obtain channel cross-sections, identify or establish elevation reference marks, and obtain the physical dimensions of hydraulic and flood control structures. Survey crews will be in and around the County from late September 2020 through October 2020. If you have any questions regarding the survey, please contact Harney County’s Planning Director, Brandon McMullen at (541) 573-6655 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Land Use Application Flow Chart:
The process involved with making land use applications under Oregon Land Use Laws and the subsequent County Comprehensive Plan can be difficult to understand so the Planning Department has developed the convenient Land Use Application Flow Chart replicated below. Follow the link to access a full size version.
Click on the permit name to open, view and print; in PDF format.
Have a question? Call, visit or email our offices!
- Follow this link to make online payments to the Harney County Planning Department via Convenient Payments
- Harney County Planning Department Fees
- Harney County Planning Commission
- County Land Sale List, Application to Purchase County Owned Land, and Policy
- Mineral Rights Application
- Planning Documents: The most fundamental planning documents related to Harney County
- Oregon Statewide Planning Goals: Learn more about Oregon Land Use rules, regulations, and planning by visiting the Department of Land Conservation & Development website.Land Use Board of Appeals: Land
- Use Board of Appeals (LUBA) Get the latest LUBA opinions and information.