The Harney County Senior and Community Service Center are excited to introduce the community to Senior Center Meals 2.0. We have taken the time to speak with our peers and to thoughtfully put together a plan that will keep our community and our staff at a safe social distance while providing a tasty, nutritious meal. Our new look will be known as “Grab and Go Meals” and the plan includes home delivered meals as well.
Meal days beginning April 7th until further notice will be every Tuesday and Thursday excluding holidays. Meals will be casserole style and given out in a pan either baked or ready to bake at home, customer choice. The size of the meal is approximately an 8x8 pan and can last a diner several meals depending on appetite. We are asking a $10 donation for those 60+, those 59- will be required to pay $10 for the meal.
- On Monday and Wednesday call the kitchen directly at 541-413-2280, between 8-12, to order your meal. At that time let them know if you want it baked or if you will bake it later. Give them your name and the approximate time you will arrive to pick your meal up the following day (between 11:30-1:00). If you are unable to reach the kitchen call 541-573-6024 and leave the above information in a message and the office personnel will get it to the kitchen staff. We will make a very limited number of extra meals that will be available on first come first served basis to last minute diners.
- On Tuesday and Thursday arrive behind the building off of Birch/Rail Road Ave at the time you provided to pick up your meal from kitchen staff. There will be a donation/payment box set up outside near the corner of the building for your privacy and convenience. If you are under 60 staff will take your payment at the time they give you your meal. No need to get out of your car, staff will bring the meal to your vehicle for you.
- We will be delivering the same meals to our home delivered meal consumers. If you are not currently on the program and are over 60 and/or disabled and would like to be screened for home delivered meal service please call 541-573-6024 and leave a message including your phone number and a staff member will call you back to assess your eligibility for the program. Delivered meals will be counted and at the end of the month you will receive a letter requesting the suggested donation. This letter is not a bill and consumers pay only what they can afford.
- There is no small amount of stress in our community and around the world. This program is new to all of us and is most definitely a change. There will be a SNAFU or two as we roll it out and as we all learn the details of delivering and receiving the meals in this new way. I hope we can all be patient and be kind to one another. We are an amazing community and we should not forget to love each other especially at times like these,
Now what is for lunch?
- April 7, 2020 Lasagna
- April 9, 2020 Tater tot casserole
- April 14,2020 Ham and cheesy potato casserole
- April 16,2020 Meatloaf
- April 21, 2020 Chicken pot pie
- April 23, 2020 Taco Casserole
- April 28, 2020 Tuna Casserole
- April 30, 2020 Chicken enchiladas